Recipe by RDH
This has become one of my family's favorite soups. I begged my friend for this recipe after tasting it at her home. It has a very appealing smooth taste that cannot be compared with store bought tomato soup. You may also subsitute 1-2 lbs. fresh chopped tomatoes for the canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Top Review by Boomette
I feel so sorry for the review cause everyone before me gave 5 stars. But I couldn't finish my bowl. I found it too acid, too tomato. DH ate it but after adding a ton of black pepper. Usually I like tomato soup :( Maybe without the tomato paste, it would be better for me. Thanks RDH for posting. Made for PAC Spring 2008.
- 1 medium potato
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and potato.
- Melt butter in large saucepan and saute onion over med. heat until transparent.
- Add potato,tomatoes,sauce,paste,garlic,bay leaf,broth,salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk.
- Remove bay leaf and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Blend in small quantities in blender or food processor.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.