Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I think this is as good or better than that you get in a Chinese restaurant--it only took me about 8 tries to get it right. The restaurant version usually has shrimp as well, I have omitted that to make this dish vegetarian.
- 1 1⁄4 cups instant rice
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup steamed vegetables (like bok choy or 1 cup celery)
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 0.5 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can baby corn
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sizzling rice: heat the 4 cups of oil to 375-400F (any lower than 370F and this does not work). In small batches, pour the instant rice into the oil, let it sizzle and puff and rise to the surface (about 5 seconds), and then remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sauce: In a large, deep skillet, heat the tbsp of oil with the ginger, onion, and garlic for a minute.
- Add remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Mix together cornstarch and water and add to the sauce. Stir until thickened.
- To serve, add sizzling rice to bowl and ladle sauce overtop. To get maximum sizzle, pour sauce over when rice is still very hot from the deep frying or reheat the rice in the microwave.
- You can prepare the sizzling rice up to a couple days in advance. You can also use crushed "Rice Cake" from the Asian market.