Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Here's a fun appetizer for when summer tomatoes are plentiful. My guests have really loved these and have always wanted the recipe! Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle. I've also served it as a light summer dinner with an avocado side salad and crisp tortilla chips.
- 2 lbs fully ripened fresh tomatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled, deveined, and boiled (use large or jumbo shrimp)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stem ends from tomatoes and finely chop.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, jalapeño, zest, salt, pepper, tequila, lime juice, and liqueur until well blended; chill.
- Spoon an equal amount of tomato salsa into 6 margarita or large bowl wine glasses.
- Surround with chilled shrimp, dividing evenly.
- • You might want to make a small horizontal cut on the bottom of the shrimp so it can "perch" on the rim of the glass.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to an hour.