Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Indian tomato soup which is creamy and served with croutons
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes or 1 large tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 inch gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 cup crouton
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the garlic fry till it becomes light brown, then add the onion which is cut into big pieces.
- Fry till the onions are translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes which are cubed and the ginger fry till the tomatoes start to turn mushy.
- Remove from the fire and allow the mixture to cool.
- Once cool blend it to a smooth paste.
- Then run this mixture through a sieve so as to remove the tomato seeds and coarse particles.
- Now melt the butter in a saucepan , add the flour and keep stirring it over low flame.
- After 3 minutes once the flour loses its raw smell, add the milk slowly while stirring the mixture so as no lumps remain.
- Cook this sauce for 2 more minutes then add the tomato puree. Add salt per taste and allow the shorba to simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Once done serve the tomato shorba in soup bowls garnished with chopped coriander,croutons and a dollop of cream and a sprinkle of black pepper powder.