Recipe by abloom69
Thick and Hearty. A meal in itself, add crusty bread and salad.
Top Review by renee46218
Loved this recipe!!! I like the other person I didn't have fennel seeds and added oregano and my other favorite seasonings. De-dog-on-licious!!! GREAT!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! I put it over rice.
- 78.07 ml olive oil, plus
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1064.65 ml eggplants, unpeeled 1/2-inch cubes
- 7.39 ml salt
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml fennel or 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 29.58 ml garlic, minced
- 9.85 ml fennel seeds, ground
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 6.16 ml dried thyme
- 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 354.88 ml chicken stock
- 822.13 g can crushed tomatoes
- 793.78 g can whole canned tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the 1/3 cup of olive oil in a 4-5 quart saucepan.
- Add the eggplant and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- Sautee over medium high heat, stirring freqently 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer eggplant to a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions, celery or fennel, garlic, fennel seed, pepper, bay leaves, remaining salt, basil and thyme. Cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and sautee 5-6 minutes breaking meat up into small pieces while cooking.
- Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes with juice, and the eggplant.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, if soup seems too thick add more stock. Remove bay leaves before serving.