Recipe by Eva99
My very favourite spaghetti sauce when I make it from scratch. From "365 Ways to Cook Pasta" with some modifications.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This spaghetti sauce was easy to make. The variation we used was to add the red wine. So the sauce has a nice full flavor. I only thing I wanted to add with the wine after we tasted it was mushrooms. But since I had none we'll have to try that another day. This is one of the recipes from Pick A Chef Orphanage 2006. I picked two of Eva99's recipes to make.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 236.59-473.18 ml coarsely cut up mushroom
- 591.47 ml diced carrots
- 591.47 ml diced celery
- 591.47 ml diced green peppers
- 828.06 ml red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan; add onion; sauté over low heat, stirring, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a skillet, stirring to crumble meat; drain off fat; add the onion mixture.
- OPTIONAL: now is when you would add the mushrooms, vegetables or red wine.
- Sauté until tender or until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, 1 tsp salt, the basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf.
- Heat over medium-low heat to simmering.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened and flavourful, about 1 hour 15 minutes.