Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My very favourite spaghetti sauce when I make it from scratch. From "365 Ways to Cook Pasta" with some modifications.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 -2 cup coarsely cut up mushroom
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced carrots
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced celery
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced green peppers
- 3 1⁄2 cups red wine
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan; add onion; sauté over low heat, stirring, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a skillet, stirring to crumble meat; drain off fat; add the onion mixture.
- OPTIONAL: now is when you would add the mushrooms, vegetables or red wine.
- Sauté until tender or until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, 1 tsp salt, the basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf.
- Heat over medium-low heat to simmering.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened and flavourful, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
This spaghetti sauce was easy to make. The variation we used was to add the red wine. So the sauce has a nice full flavor. I only thing I wanted to add with the wine after we tasted it was mushrooms. But since I had none we'll have to try that another day. This is one of the recipes from Pick A Chef Orphanage 2006. I picked two of Eva99's recipes to make.
I have that book and this is the recipe I have used for Spaghetti and Meat Sauce for years. I always add the red wine and sometimes the mushrooms if I have them. A wonderful rich sauce full of flavor! Thanks for sharing!