Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
All my cooking life, I have generously buttered my pasta before adding the sauce, whether canned or homemade. Today I found this recipe on the Saveur website, from Giuliano Hazan. I can hardly wait to get home and make this sauce!
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole peeled tomatoes with juice, crushed by hand
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring butter, sugar, tomatoes, and onion, to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld and sauce is slightly reduced, about 45 minutes. Discard onion, and season sauce with salt and pepper before serving.