Recipe by susie cooks
I have been making this for over 25 years. It is our special tomato sauce. The aroma of this sauce while it is cooking is wonderful. Sometimes I add some red wine while it is simmering. I really don't know how much this recipe yields but I am guessing 2 1/2 to 3 quarts. I know that I get 2 meals from this sauce. It freezes well. When I make this my family knows they are in for a great dinner!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 5 teaspoons dried basil
- 5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown bacon. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon (save this for another use, like a salad topping).
- Saute onions and garlic in bacon fat until soft. Add ground beef and brown.
- Crush whole tomatoes, with juice, with your hands. Add to the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for at least one hour. I cover the sauce partially with a lid and simmer 2-3 hours. Check to see if you need to add more water (or wine).