Tomato Sauce Like My Grandmother's
- Peel the tomatoes by making a criss cross cut on the bottom and putting them in boiling water for 1 minute. Rinse them in cold water and let cool. When they are cool remove the skins, squeeze out the seeds, and chop coarsely.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven heat the oil. Add the onion, pepper, and hot pepper and saute for about 10 minutes over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, water, and seasonings. Bring to boil over medium low heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
- Add sugar if needed and fresh herbs. Cook for five more minutes.
- Either let cool and freeze or add meatballs, sausage, pork loin and serve with pasta. Also great for lasagne, eggplant parm, etc.