Recipe by Deantini
This recipe was created as part of the ZWT 8 Crock Pot challenge where you had to convert a recipe into a recipe cooked in a crock pot. The original recipe was posted by Magpie Diner - Provencal Tomato Sauce (Uses Fresh Tomatoes). The orignal recipe called for 1/3 cup of olive oil which I reduced to 1 tbsp as well as fresh thyme and marjoram, which I switched to chives and parsley. I used roma tomatoes and blended the sauce for a consistent texture
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 11 roma tomatoes, chopped (should yield about 6 cups)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in pan and saute onions until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the onion/garlic mixture into crock pot along with bay leaves, tomatoes, salt and peper to taste.
- Cook in crock pot on high for 90 min and reduce to low for 30 minute.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Blend tomatoes with hand blender - this step is optional, if you like a chunky sauce
- Add fresh herbs of your liking and stir in tomato paste.