Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here is my recipe for tomato sauce:
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes or 4 -5 fresh tomatoes, peeled, diced
- salt & pepper
- herbs ((basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Heat some olive oil (one or two TBS) on medium-low heat.
- Add finely chopped onions until soft but not golden.
- Then add one can of tomatoes (peeled), or 4 or 5 peeled fresh tomatoes, diced.
- Season with salt, pepper, and herbs (basil, oregano, thyme -- you can use Italian seasoning).
- add one teaspoonful of sugar (to take off the acidity of tomatoes) and add one or two cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, covered, then blend it thoroughly (you can do that in the saucepan with the appropriate blender), and let it simmer for at least 30 more minutes.
I used this to make recipe #9430 and I thought it tasted very good. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
This isn't THE tomato sauce for me. It was good, but light. I was looking for something that could take the place of canned tomato sauce and use up the abundance of fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Excellent recipe for a light sauce. I did not blend it, but left it chunky and we loved it. I had fresh basil and oregano and chopped that up with the garlic. I used brown sugar instead of white. I served it in recipe #27193 Helen's Zucchini Casserole, and it was perfect. My husband couldn't stop talking about how good the sauce was. Thanks, Carole in Orlando