Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very tasty recipe for pasta sauce. Its a recipe from one of my mum's friends.Real simple but tasty.
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Peel the tomatoes and mash in the blender.
- Put the tomato puree in a pot and add all the others ingrdients.
- Simmer in low heat for 30-40 ninutes. Until you see littles bubbles in the sauces. Then the water from the tomatoes is absorded.
- Remove the garlic and the celery and the sauce is ready.
- You can add olive oil if you wish at the end.
- This sauce and be kept in jars in the fridge for 2-3 months. But you must cover the surface of the jar with olive oil and then put it in the fridge.
An interesting and different sauce. I used canned tomatoes because fresh aren't that good at this time of year. The garlic cloves were left whole and the celery was cut into thirds making them easy to remove. The sauce were served as written to DD and groung beef added for DH.
I adopted you for PAC Spring 2007. I passed this by DH, the Pasta Master for reviewing and he said it was good. I used I can of tomatoes to suppliment the fresh as I didn't have quite enough, 3 stalks of celery and ten drops of Tabasco,, which was good for me but not nearly hot enough for DHs tastes. I liked the fact that this wasn't a really sweet sauce. My only problem is with the instructions: removing garlic and celery from tomato paste, nutmeg, tobasco mix after simmering it seemed an impossible task without washing everything off, and the instructions don't make it clear when to add the tomato puree so I took liberties and just simmered all ingredients together and then pureed most of it after simmering. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for a tasty recipe that whipped up fast after a long working day. Thanks!
Very nice tomato sauce! I liked the bit of sweetness as it took a bit of the tomato tanginess away most pasta sauces have. I used dried basil, parsley, and used celery seeds instead of chopped celery. Served over bow tie noodles for a great meal!