Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
You will need to peel the tomatoes first. I like the boiling water and ice water method.
- 3 lbs tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Remove cores, cut in half and remove seeds from when tomatoes are cool.
- Put in the blender and puree, this will make about 4 cups.
- In a large pot, heat oil and the onions, saute until golden and soft about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for about 5 minutes more on low.
- Add the tomato puree and stir.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium-low so it is bubbling but not boiling.
- Cook for an hour and stir occasionally.
- Cool completely, then measure 1 cup portions into freezer containers and chill completely.
- To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- Use as a base, making into pasta sauce, soup or whatever you need it for.