Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The BEST tomato sauce around!
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 large carrot
- 20 basil leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Cook Onions and Garlic in 2-6tbs of olive oil depending on how rich you want it.
- Optional: Remove inner stem of tomato.
- Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to pot, you can all add them to the pot and then mash them with a potato masher.
- Add wine and carrot which should be cut into 4 large pieces.
- Add Salt, Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Cook on medium for 1.5hrs-2hrs until it is reduced by half and thick.
- Add basil leaves 30minutes before it is done cooking.
This turned out great. I scaled down the recipe using 1 large can diced tomatoes. Great with spaghetti! I grated the carrot so it would melt into the sauce, added some parsley with the basil. Thanks for a good basic tomato sauce! Made for the Pick a Chef event. I enjoyed making your recipes!