Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 lbs ripe fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded or 3 lbs one 35 ounce can of peeled Italian tomatoes, seeded and lightly crushed, with their liquid
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried bay leaves
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Pass the tomatoes through a food mill fitted with the fine disc. In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and simmer in the olive oil until wilted. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the passed tomatoes, bay leaves and salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Heat to simmering. Simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.