Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Homemade tomato sauce using fresh ingredients.
- 4 cups tomatoes, diced or 29 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat oil in large pan, add garlic and cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes and cook until heated.
- Add Basil, salt, pepper and red pepper, stir well.
- Add to blender and mix until smooth.
- Store in refrigerator or freeze.
Very good basic tomato sauce. Good to have a supply in the freezer. Used tomato puree and one can of crushed tomatoes to make up the 29 ounces. It was smooth enough without using a blender. Divided the sauce into 4 servings, froze two and left two in the refrigerator. Used one serving on pasta with just a little grated pecorino cheese, very good. Into the other serving I added some fried onions, a handful of peas and a handful of bell peppers. Also served over pasta. Like I said, this is a basic sauce, good by itself and inspiring to add other ingredients. The only thing I will change when making it again is to cut down on the black pepper, I think 1/4 teaspoon will be sufficient. Thanks for posting.
Now this is a very good tomato sauce recipe!