Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve hot with freshly cooked pasta. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dip tomatoes in boiling water to split the skin, then spear with a fork and peel. Quarter tomatoes and set aside.
- In a medium heavy-based saucepan, heat oil over a low heat. Sauté onions and celery until onions are golden. Add tomatoes and any juice, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and discard.