Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my Adopted Recipes. I have not yet had time to try it out and make revisions if needed.
- 8 large fresh tomatoes (diced in small pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian olive oil
- 8 cloves fresh garlic (chopped or minced)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- To cook sauce, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large iron skillet or heavy saucepan.
- Add garlic and cook until tender.
- Add fresh tomatoes and cook until just heated through.
- Stir in basil and salt.
- Serve sauce over cooked spaghetti or other Italian pasta and top with parmesan cheese.
- This tomato sauce recipe makes enough for about 6 servings Don't over cook the tomatoes, keep them aldente!
Peel the tomatoes?
I just realized I was out of tomato sauce this evening and used this recipe as a base to make some. I adjusted the ingredients a bit -- I'll be cooking for one for a while until my DH can eat solid foods again. I used your ingredients plus fresh thyme and oregano. I simmered the sauce on the stove with a bay leaf for about 20 minutes to let the flavors mix. This is a nice basic recipe -- Thanks for posting!