Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
I had an abundance of fresh green beans that I was trying different ways of cooking. This is the one I did that was my family's favorite.
- 4 cups fresh green beans (measure after washing and snapping into 1/2inch pieces)
- 2 small white onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄2 lb ham (get deli to "slab" cut it)
- 1 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop ham into a small dice.
- Heat butter in a heavy, large pot with a lid.
- Place onion in butter, and sauté over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add green beans and ham, and stir-fry for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the V-8 juice, and the garlic, along with the spices.
- Stir well, lower heat to a slow simmer and cover.
- Simmer the green beans for 30-40 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove lid, turn heat up to a faster simmer and cook for 5 more minutes until liquid reduces.