Recipe by mamacancook
The best time for these are when tomatoes are in season-especially if they're home grown,and the type of bread you use makes all the differnce-If you can get a good heavy German style bread this makes the best sandwhich (no need to toast) but for this posting we'll go with Twelve grain bread.
Top Review by Chef cj walton
my aunt and uncle had a ten acre farm of mostly tomatoes. it does'nt get better than this. there is something special about a home grown, acidicly perfect, juicy tomato. my aunt always used mayo, but this is just as great. yum
- 1 large tomatoes
- 2 -4 slices twelve-grain bread
- butter or margarine
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 dash garlic powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and slice tomato.
- Toast 2-4 slices Twelve grain bread (depending on size/#of slices of tomato).
- Butter toast.
- Sprinkle sliced tomato with salt,pepper and garlic if you like.
- Layer on bread and Enjoy!
- PS-you can always drizzle a bit of olive oil on tomatoes for extra flavor-or just "butter" bread with olive oil instead of butter or margerine.
- If you can get German style bread or a thick-heavy bread-no need to toast-just butter-layer tomatoes and enjoy.