1/2 Photos of Tomato Salsa - Uncle Bill's Version
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
A delightful Tomato Salsa recipe that can be adjusted to be spicier if desired. I have been making this for over 30 years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes (other type of tomatoes would be okay as well)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped small
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped into small chunks
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon limes or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1In a large pot bring water to a rolling boil.
- 2Drop in tomatoes and scald for 2 minutes.
- 3Drain and immediately cover with cold water and some ice cubes and let sit for a few minutes.
- 4Remove skins and discard.
- 5Remove stem core and discard.
- 6Cut tomatoes into small chunks.
- 7Using a large cooking pot, add chopped tomatoes, Jalapeno peppers, red onion, green pepper, sweet red pepper, cilantro, basil, parsley, wine vinegar, lemon juice, ground cumin and liquid honey.
- 8Bring mixture to a boil.
- 9On medium-high heat, cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- 10Adjust spices and Jalapeno peppers to taste.
- 11Prepare 4- pint size canning jars by washing in soap and water, then rinsing in hot water.
- 12Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 13Place washed jars upside down on oven rack and heat for 15 minutes.
- 14Prepare snap lids by boiling them in water for about 5 minutes.
- 15Fill jars with salsa mixture to within 1/4 inch of top of jars (for head space.) Remove any air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatula between glass and salsa; re-adjust head space to 1/4 inch.
- 16Wipe jar rims very clean to remove any stickiness.
- 17Place snap lids, then screw bands just until finger tight.
- 18Prepare a canner and bring water to boil.
- 19Place jars in canner rack and immerse in water.
- 20Process for 10 minutes.
- 21Remove jars from canner and place on a towel, then cover with another towel until cooled.
- 22Jars are sealed when lids"pop" and are concave (turned downward).
- 23Wipe jars clean and lable.
- 24Store jars in a cool, dry place.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Salsa - Uncle Bill's Version
Serving Size: 1 (2014 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 155.6
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 26.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: