- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/8-inch cubes
- 1 large jalapeno chile, minced, seeds and ribs removed and reserved
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 -6 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Set a large colander in a large bowl.
- Place the tomatoes in the colander and let them drain for 30 minutes.
- As the tomatoes drain, layer the jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cilantro on top.
- Shake the colander to drain off the excess tomato juice; discard the juice and wipe out the bowl.
- Transfer the contents of the colander to the now-empty bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the lime juice and toss to combine.
- Season with the minced jalapeno seeds, sugar, and additional lime juice to taste and serve.