Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Taken from The Best International Recipe, posted for safekeeping. Tastes best the day it is made.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/8-inch cubes
- 1 large jalapeno chile, minced, seeds and ribs removed and reserved
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 -6 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Set a large colander in a large bowl.
- Place the tomatoes in the colander and let them drain for 30 minutes.
- As the tomatoes drain, layer the jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cilantro on top.
- Shake the colander to drain off the excess tomato juice; discard the juice and wipe out the bowl.
- Transfer the contents of the colander to the now-empty bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the lime juice and toss to combine.
- Season with the minced jalapeno seeds, sugar, and additional lime juice to taste and serve.
This salsa is terrific! Thank you for sharing!
Very tasty! Had to make two adjustments based on availability: used 1 15-oz. can of fire-roasted tomatoes (ours from the garden aren't ready yet and the store-bought ones are terrible), and substituted two small serranos for one large jalapeno. Will definitely fix again -- likely double the recipe!