Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is obviously a 'roll-your-own' recipe. Salsa is a very personal thing! I like mine fairly mild so that I can put a lot of it on every chip I eat.
- 3 -4 jalapeno peppers, chopped,seeded if desired,to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped,as desired
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped,according to your preference (I like lots!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 -2 tomatillo, peeled,washed,and chopped (optional)
- 1 (4 -8 ounce) canchopped mild green chili peppers, to taste,with or without brine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped,with juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large plastic bowl.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Let sit for about one hour at room temperature.
- Taste, and adjust any or all ingredients as desired; make it hotter or cooler, more cilantro, more garlicky, whatever!
- Let sit for another hour, and adjust the ingredients again.
- When you think it's just about the way that YOU like it, rewrite the recipe, and throw this one away!
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours so that flavors can blend.
- Taste, and adjust ingredients again if you want to.
- You shouldn't have to, but your tongue may have been pretty numb by the time you finished doing everything in the previous step.
- This is a chunky salsa.
- If your like yours smooth, throw in a blender or food processor, and mush it up as much as you want.
- Serve with tortilla chips or on top of anything else that you want, tacos, enchiladas, rice, salad, cream cheese (with crackers), whatever!