This delicious and easy salad is from Gourmet Magazine (Aug. 1993) and was also printed in their new cookbook. It is great with some fresh, shave Parmesan on top. You can also add cucumbers. If you don't have any shallots, just omit them. This is a great dish to make ahead as the salad is even better the next day when the flavours have had a chance to meld and develop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 1/2 lbs tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup minced mixed fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, tarragon or 1/3 cup mint, plus an herb sprig for garnish
- 1In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, the vinegar, the mustard, the garlic, the sugar, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
- 2Arrange the tomato slices on a deep platter, scatter the onion and the shallots over them, and pour the dressing over the salad.
- 3Chill the salad for 20 minutes, sprinkle it with the minced herbs, and garnish it with the herb sprig.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Salad With Red Onion & Herbs (Gourmet)
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.9
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: