Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This simple, yet terrific salad is served at Kariwak Village Hotel in Tobago. The recipe was featured in "Island Life" magazine. Delicious.
- 6 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup light vegetable oil
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- pepper sauce (to taste) (optional)
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together except oil and basil.
- Drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in basil.
- Arrange tomato slices on a salad plate and spoon dressing over slices.
- Cover and chill.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- If you desire serve over fresh bed of lettuce.
Delicious!!!! The only thing I changed (for simplification) was to throw everything including the basil into the cuisinart to blend it all together. I then substituted olive oil for the vegetable oil as I think olive oil and basil are meant to be together. But the flavours are outstanding together. Try this tonight, you won't be disappointed!
I searched for recipes using basil because I have a bumper crop. I loved this dressing so much I'd make it even if I had to buy the basil...it is very tasty. I served it with chicken and pasta with this sauce, which is delicious "Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto". I love summer foods!!
We loved this! The dressing has a bit of heat and a richness of flavor that is just great. Will make this again and again. May make the dressing for other uses, as well. Thank you for posting this.