Recipe by Pickles F
This unusual salad was created after I read a recipe for a chocolate cake that included tomatoes--believe it or not!!
Top Review by Lando
I am always looking for savory chocolate dishes so I was excited at the prospect of a salad using chocolate. For me though, the salad and the dressing, individually, are very good, but together they are mis-matched. It is indeed an unusual salad, but sadly the salad mix does not complement the dressing and vice-versa, in flavors and texture.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop tomatoes into 1/4 inch chunks and drain any excess liquid.
- Add basil to tomatoes.
- In small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic powder, and poppyseeds.
- Hard boil the eggs and chop into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Toss tomatoes, basil, oil with spices, and eggs together.
- Beat cream on high till it is thoroughly whipped.
- Beat in sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon.
- Pour cream over salad and mix gently.
- You may not need to add all the cream--just until it reaches a consistency that you like.
- Chill and serve.
- May garnish with sprinkles of cocoa powder and cinnamon.