Recipe by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Trying to add different dishes and salads to the "Saturday Lunch at the Farm" crowd brought the dawn of new tastes and new ways of devouring lunch. This salad goes particularly well when "Tommy the Beefsteak Tomato" or "Penelope the Plum tomato" when in the summer you can actually smell the tomatoes maturing and growing big right before you eyes. The use of fresh mint really highlights this simple salad along with the use of fresh scallions, and cucumbers. Even during the cold winter, to bring this bright salad to the table can bring smiles and salad bowls handed down to add just a little more. This is a rustic salad that jumps up and grabs you to behold it. Hey, who said the "Farm" can't be healthful too. Don't hesitate to change the ingredients or using fresh green or red peppers instead of the chilies. Go ahead....it's ok! Enjoy mostly......and have fun *Note* my friend Maito tried this and her suggestions were so good I incorporated the into this recipe. I think it was perfect, thank you Maito!
Top Review by Starrynews
Simple and delicious dish! I used fresh basil and mint from the garden and peanuts - loved the added crunch! I had a very strong jalapeno, so adjusted the amount to taste. Thanks for sharing! ZWT7
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked (shredded, or 2 small)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, torn in smaller pieces (optional, fresh parsley in place) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, torn in smaller pieces
- 1 jalapeno chile (add to taste only, I add Serrano chilie personally)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted dry roasted peanuts, coarsely ground (or cashews)
- 2 limes, juiced and pulped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, diced thinly
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (seeded and devined, to taste)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Using a small mixing bowl ~ but ingredients of the sauce together and whisk gently.(Makes approximately 1/2 cup to use on salad to taste).
- In large bowl combine the chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, mint (if using) and basil.
- Add the sauce, and chilies to taste, top off with nuts.
- Toss and serve immediately.