I saw a version of this recipe in SL originally. This appetizer is super simple, and very impressive. I adapted it to a more subtle taste, and to give considerable contrast. The original spices took away from the wonderful flavor of ripe roma tomatoes. I think the contrast of bright red tomatoes, and white cream cheese is pleasing to the eye; and the contrast in flavors between sweet ripe roma's, and garlicky cream cheese spread is fun for your mouth. Also the contrast in textures works well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slender French baguette
- 73.94 ml olive oil, seasoned with
- garlic salt
- 226.79 g package cream cheese (or alike)
- 6-7 ripe roma tomatoes
seasonings of your choice
- 1Turn on broiler, with rack at 6-8" Set out cream cheese to soften Slice roma's to desired thickness.
- 2I do approx. the same thickness as my baguette rounds to make a nice, hearty appetizer.
- 3Toasts: Slice baguette into 1/4" thick rounds, and place on an ungreased, good cookie sheet (something like Airware, for even toasting)
- 4Pour olive oil into small dish and stir in desired amount of garlic salt (can be ommitted) Using, preferably, a pastry brush, dress each round w/olive oil mix. (You can use a paper towel wrapped over a couple fingers if you don't have a pastry brush.)
- 5Place cookie sheet under broiler, and keep a close watch. Estimate 2 minutes for toasting, but these can burn quickly. So use your eyes to know when they're ready to come out of the oven.
- 6Spread: Mix softened cream cheese with seasonings. I usually do a garlic-herb blend or I have a garlic spread mix from Costo that works great. Mix in desired amount of parmesan cheese.
- 7It usually only takes a little; remember you don't want to compete with the flavors of the roma's Assemble: Spread cream cheese mixture on toasts, and top with tomato slice.
- 8Tuck in a basil leaf for garnish. I have also used a little parley instead of basil.
Browse Our Top Wedding Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Rounds
Serving Size: 1 (740 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 12.4 mg
- Sodium 172.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 3.0 g