Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
I saw a version of this recipe in SL originally. This appetizer is super simple, and very impressive. I adapted it to a more subtle taste, and to give considerable contrast. The original spices took away from the wonderful flavor of ripe roma tomatoes. I think the contrast of bright red tomatoes, and white cream cheese is pleasing to the eye; and the contrast in flavors between sweet ripe roma's, and garlicky cream cheese spread is fun for your mouth. Also the contrast in textures works well.
- Turn on broiler, with rack at 6-8" Set out cream cheese to soften Slice roma's to desired thickness.
- I do approx. the same thickness as my baguette rounds to make a nice, hearty appetizer.
- Toasts: Slice baguette into 1/4" thick rounds, and place on an ungreased, good cookie sheet (something like Airware, for even toasting)
- Pour olive oil into small dish and stir in desired amount of garlic salt (can be ommitted) Using, preferably, a pastry brush, dress each round w/olive oil mix. (You can use a paper towel wrapped over a couple fingers if you don't have a pastry brush.)
- Place cookie sheet under broiler, and keep a close watch. Estimate 2 minutes for toasting, but these can burn quickly. So use your eyes to know when they're ready to come out of the oven.
- Spread: Mix softened cream cheese with seasonings. I usually do a garlic-herb blend or I have a garlic spread mix from Costo that works great. Mix in desired amount of parmesan cheese.
- It usually only takes a little; remember you don't want to compete with the flavors of the roma's Assemble: Spread cream cheese mixture on toasts, and top with tomato slice.
- Tuck in a basil leaf for garnish. I have also used a little parley instead of basil.