Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A good simple stew that can cook all day in the crock-pot. Freezes well. Adapted from Betty Crocker for my family's taste.
Top Review by Jane from Ohio
This soup was excellent. I made it during the Arctic Blast we just had. We were eating hot and delicious soup when the weather was -5 degrees below zero with a wind chill of -38 below zero. It was good and warming. The only thing I would do different would be to cook the rotini and then add it. It seemed to go soggy the next day.
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rotini pasta
- shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients except for pasta and cheese to a slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours.
- Add in pasta; stir.
- Increase setting to HIGH; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender; season with more salt/pepper if desired.
- Ladle into individual bowls; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.