Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
This basic risotto recipe is very quick & simple. You can use this recipe as a base & add as many other ingredients as you wish! (Yummy with mushrooms).
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add onion, stir constantly over medium heat until onion is soft.
- Add rice to pan, mix well to coat each grain with butter.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, chicken stock powder& the bay leaf.
- Stir constantly over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Rice should still be quite moist at this stage.
- Remove from pan from heat, stir in basil& parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese to serve if desired.
Wow, this is terrific! I've made it twice already, as I grow basil in a pot on my porch. The first time I did not have onions, so I substituted dried onion flakes (1 1/2 Tbs.) and it still turned out great. Also, I use half the butter, and I make mine with half brown arborio rice and half white. This means I need to add extra water (1 3/4 cups) and cook it longer (about 50 min.) Thanks for this great recipe!
Simple but really delicious! This was my first attempt at making risotto and it turned out really well. We added bacon and capsicum bits, and used chicken stock liquid rather than powder+water. Didn't use bay leaves either and added salt and pepper to taste.
For a creamier, less tart risotto, add two tablespoons milk and a pinch of sugar to the water/tomato/rice mixture. The amount of sugar will depend strongly on what type of tomatoes you use. For example, I used fresh garden tomatoes which were a little too tart for my tastes, so I added about 2 teaspoons of sugar.