Recipe by Chef Luma
This soup is very simple and is wonderful when you are not feeling well. It is not complicated and it is not super flavorful, I make it when someone is feeling under the weather and can't hold down a big meal. You can use your favorite rice.
Top Review by snoopy04049
I made this recipe with an adjustment. i didn't have tomato juice so I used tomato sauce and added 1 tbs. white sugar and 1 tsp. celery salt and two beef bourbon cubes I added a cup of water to thin out the sauce. My son loved it. For him, though, I had to add corn. He loves vegetables in his soup. It came out great. Great flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 568 ml tomato juice
- 1 (30 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bunch fresh basil (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large soup pot.
- Add onions and sauté a few minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté one minute (until fragrant).
- Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add rice.
- When rice is almost cooked add fresh basil and finish cooking until rice is to your liking.
- Serve with salted tops soda crackers.