Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This soup is very simple and is wonderful when you are not feeling well. It is not complicated and it is not super flavorful, I make it when someone is feeling under the weather and can't hold down a big meal. You can use your favorite rice.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 568 ml tomato juice
- 1 (30 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bunch fresh basil (to taste)
- Heat oil in large soup pot.
- Add onions and sauté a few minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté one minute (until fragrant).
- Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add rice.
- When rice is almost cooked add fresh basil and finish cooking until rice is to your liking.
- Serve with salted tops soda crackers.
I made this recipe with an adjustment. i didn't have tomato juice so I used tomato sauce and added 1 tbs. white sugar and 1 tsp. celery salt and two beef bourbon cubes I added a cup of water to thin out the sauce. My son loved it. For him, though, I had to add corn. He loves vegetables in his soup. It came out great. Great flavor.
Made this soup as close as I could to the recipe. I didn't have tomato juice, so used tomato puree with water to equal amount called for. I also didn't have fresh basil, so used dried. I found that it needed more liquid, so I added more as the soup was finished cooking. Other than that, the soup was delicious and I will make it often. Thanks!
this was fantastic - I'd been looking for a gluten-free replacement of the Red & White Old Fashioned and the $3 can Amy's plain. This was so good that I'm very glad to have a large pot and a partner who doesn't like tomato soup! Thank you Chef Luma!