Recipe by Mareesme
I hope you enjoy this soup, which I've been making for what seems like forever!! 10/09 NOTE: This recipe is my original one, made when the kids were little and didn't like too much spice. Now I sometimes doctor it up adding garlic, red pepper flakes, or whatever. This soup is very forgiving, so do your own thing! I originally did not add the sugar quantity in the recipe, so have now corrected this.
Top Review by tanastable
Loved this Soup!!! I left out the bacon and just saut?ed the onion in a bit of butter. I used 1 can of Organic Diced Tomatoes and 2 fresh Tomatoes diced. I also used Turbinado Sugar. My only issue was that the rice took over 30 minutes to tenderize. I'm not sure if this due to high altitude (we live in the mountains) or what, but I ended up having to turn it on low and putting a lid on it for quite some time. But besides the rice issue, it was delicious! I will definitely be making this recipe again very soon!
- 4 slices bacon, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ripe tomatoes or 32 ounces canned tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 8 cups beef stock or 8 cups broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon and onion together until lightly browned. Drain off fat.
- In soup pot, add peeled and diced fresh tomatoes or break up canned tomatoes. Add sugar, then bacon/onion mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in separate pan cook sausage covered in water for 15 minutes. Drain, then cut into slices.
- Place sausage in soup pot with bacon/tomato mixture. Add beef stock or broth and oregano, then bring to a rolling boil.
- Stir in rice. Cook over medium heat uncovered until approximately 10 minutes until rice is tender, adding additional broth if needed.
- Remove from heat then stir in parmesan cheese and butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in serving bowls and sprinkle on minced fresh parsley. Additional parmesan cheese may also be sprinkled on.