This is a simple rice dish but very flavorful. I like to use Basmati, but any long grain rice is good. Depending what other dishes I serve it with I sometimes add a chopped chili pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 12 ounces long grain rice, washed and rinsed until the water runs clear and drained
- 1 lb tomato, skinned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh ground black pepper
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan, you need one with a lid, add the onion, garlic and ginger, fry until the onion is soft but do not brown.
- 2Add the red pepper and fry for another minute.
- 3Stir in the rice, then the tomatoes, salt, cumin, pepper and the water.
- 4Bring to the boil, cover the pan, reduce the heat as low as possible and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
- 5Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with the garnish.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Rice
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.3
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 702.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: