Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From The New Portuguese Table by David Leite
Make and share this Tomato Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 turkish bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 1 lb)
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 591.47 ml chicken broth (or more)
- 354.88 ml long-grain white rice
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 7.39 ml double-concentrate tomato paste (optional)
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and bay leaf and cook until the onion is golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle in the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until softened, about 3 minutes. Tip in the wine and let it bubble until almost evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Add the rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the tomato paste, if using. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Toss out the bay leaf and shower the rice with the parsley and oregano.