Recipe by breezermom
This is a very versatile Brazilian side dish. If serving with chicken, use chicken broth, if serving with beef, use beef broth. This isn't spicy, just a nice colorful side dish.
- 1 cup basmati rice (may use any long grain rice)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups broth, beef (depends on what you are serving this with) or 2 cups chicken (depends on what you are serving this with)
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart saucepan cook the uncooked rice, onion, and garlic in hot oil for 5 to 8 minutes or until the rice is golden and the onion is tender, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in broth, tomato, salt, and pepper. Return to heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.