Recipe by MaddysMom
My mom's recipe - the perfect compliment to a mexican dinner. It has a lot of flavor and is pretty simple to put together. When I make it at home I cut back on the onion. I don't make any other changes, but I think it would be great with some additions like black beans, corn, or chiles.
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- SImmer stock. Cover and set aside.
- Heat oil, adding onion and tomato. Cook over medium heat until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, cumin, tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Gradually add warm stock, stirring to blend.
- Bring to a boil, adding rice, then lower heat and cover, and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately.