Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 hrs
Posted for a recipe request.
- 6 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- To prepare the tomatoes peel them by soaking them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, the skin shoould peel off easier.
- Remove the seeds and chop them.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, onion and green pepper.
- Store the relish in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.
Have made this many times. Extremely fresh tasting and tasty! I tend to use cherry tomatoes, cut them half and drain some of the liquid. If using larger tomatoes, I don't bother peeling and seeding, simply dice them up and drain some of the liquid. Great on French bread!
This is a fresh and welcome relish when it is snowing and there is no sign that spring is coming, and probably at the height of tomato season too. It is fresh and light. I made as instructed (but I didn't bother to peel the tomatoes because we don't mind the skin) and I will process a small jar as I would any tomatoe preserve. I added some chili flake to the remainder as we are having an meal that will require some spice. It is excellent as is and not at all like a salsa. Thankyou for a new and speedy addition to brighten up our long winter! I will make it again, but won't cut the tomatoes quite so small next time - maybe 3/4" chop. Thanks again.