Posted for a recipe request.
Make and share this Tomato Relish Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- To prepare the tomatoes peel them by soaking them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, the skin shoould peel off easier.
- Remove the seeds and chop them.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, onion and green pepper.
- Store the relish in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.
This is a fresh and welcome relish when it is snowing and there is no sign that spring is coming, and probably at the height of tomato season too. It is fresh and light. I made as instructed (but I didn't bother to peel the tomatoes because we don't mind the skin) and I will process a small jar as I would any tomatoe preserve. I added some chili flake to the remainder as we are having an meal that will require some spice. It is excellent as is and not at all like a salsa. Thankyou for a new and speedy addition to brighten up our long winter! I will make it again, but won't cut the tomatoes quite so small next time - maybe 3/4" chop. Thanks again.