Recipe by mummamills
This is the best selling, fabulous tasting, world famous Tomato Relish as made by the "Boonooroo Brown Paper-bag Ladies" This is REALLY like granma used to make. If I buy "cooking tomatoes" and they are very pale, I add a small tub of tomato paste. You can add garlic, or herbs to this recipe, but I dont find it needs it. I always double this recipe, cause I am constantly being asked for it :) I use good quality brown vinegar, but the my fellow Bag Ladies use the generic stuff.
Top Review by Debbwl
A nice tomato relish that is very easy to make. Sweet and tangy all at the same time making it a nice side. Made as written cutting down to 2 jars. Read your note about adding tomato paste and wished I had some to add. Thanks for the post. Updating my review from a four star to a five star because DH liked so well he asked to take as part of his lunch. Will make again and add tomato paste. Thanks again.
- 1 1⁄2 kg ripe tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 500 g brown onions (peeled and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 cups malt vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- skin tomatoes, cut in cubes, place in bowl.
- Peel onions, chop finely, place in separate bowl. Sprinkle each with one tablespoon salt and leave overnight.
- Next day place tomatoes , and the onions together in a saucepan.and their liquid.
- Add sugar, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved, increase heat, bring to boil, boil, 5 minutes
- Combine curry, chilli and mustard, mix to smooth paste with a little vinegar, add remaining vinegar, add to saucepan and stir to combine thoroughly. Bring to boil and boil uncovered for 50 to 60 minutes, or until thick.
- If necessary, (and it probably is ) thicken with 3 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with a little vinegar.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.