Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs 13 mins
Excellent for canning all those tomatoes left over at the end of the season. Good tasting basic relish.
- 18 firm ripe tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 medium onions
- 2 sweet green peppers
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove, ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds, tied in bag
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- Peel tomatoes, then chop into small pieces.
- Chop celery, onions, and peppers into fine pieces.If you use only green or red peppers be sure total amount of peppers equals 4 medium peppers.
- Mix together the vegetables and salt.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Drain thoroughly in the morning. Rinse once with fresh water, drain again.
- Combine sugar, spices and vinegar, making sure the sugar is dissolved, in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and return to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cheesecloth bag holding mustard seeds or allow seeds to be added into mix if desired for texture.
- Spoon into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process in 10 min water bath for alt. of 2500 ft. Remove and cool.
Beautiful Recipe, enjoyed alot!