Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from a book of Sheryl Arnoldy's who was a great caterer but also owned the popular restaraunt The Lunch Bucket here in Sacramento back in the day. This relish can be used as a salsa or as a condiment with meat or the likes. This makes for great items to add to gift baskets.
- 14 lbs tomatoes, peeled
- 6 large onions
- 3 ounces hot yellow wax chile peppers
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄2 gallon apple cider vinegar
- 2 heads celery, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper
- 2 ounces mustard seeds
- 6 cups vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- Grind together (In meat grinder or similar machine) tomatoes, onions, and wax peppers. Add salt.
- Put all in a cloth bag and drain overnight. The same night, boil apple cider vinegar, cover and let stand overnight.
- The next day, grind celery and bell pepper.
- Mix with tomato mixture.
- Add mustard seeds, vinegar and sugar.
- Mix all together and put into clean hot jars.
- These can be processed in a water bath for 10-15 minutes.