Recipe by Dotty2
This is a great tasting relish that I make every year when I have ripe tomatoes from the garden. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law many years ago. It is a favorite in her house and a favorite with my family as well.
- 12 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle pickling salt over chopped vegetables (tomatoes, onions, and celery) and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain and place in a pot with the vinegar, mustard seeds, sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 45 minutes.
- Add sliced green peppers and tomato paste and boil for 20 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars.
- Quantity depends on size of jars used.