Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a simple, delicious salad. It is so good when tomatoes are at their best. (Indiana tomatoes are my personal favorites...but I'm biased.) It's great for a cookout. This is from the Southern Living 1981 Cookbook, from the month of May. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 2 small green peppers, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar (I use plain old white vinegar.)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Layer tomatoes in a 9x13 pan.
- Combine first 8 ingredients and pour over tomatoes.
- Cover and chill 3-4 hours.
My Grandmother and Mother both always made this salad in the Summer (minus the Celery) and it has always been one of my favortite salads in the Summer. Very refreshing! Thanks for sharing!
My Nana made this salad every summer when her garden veggies were ripe, except she didn't use celery. I liked it with the celery, but it's just as good without it. Wonderful summer recipe!
As the title says, very refreshing! I used red wine vinegar and halved the recipe. I loved the flavors and this made a great lunch along with a lentil salad! Thanks Amanda!