Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Won second place in Taste of Home Cooking Contest, contributed by Heidi Anne Quinn.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 pie pastry shells (10-inch)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cook over medium-high heat until liquid is almost evaporated, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese into bottom of pie shell.
- Cover with tomato mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy.
- Stir in cream; mix well.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees; bake 40 minutes more or until top begins to brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
This is one of my favorite quiche recipes, I make this in mini pie shells and it is always a hit! Thanks for posting this, I lost my copy!