Recipe by mollypaul
More of a hearty soup than what you might think of when you see the title of this delicious recipe from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 quart tomatoes, cooked
- 2 slices onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tomatoes and onion together for 5 minutes; rub through a sieve fine enough to remove seeds.
- Heat to boiling point again.
- Melt butter in another saucepan; blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Heat to boiling point and cook for three minutes.
- Just before serving, add hot tomato mixture to hot white sauce, stirring constantly.
- Adjust seasonings and serve at once with crisp crackers or Melba toast.