Recipe by duonyte
This recipe is from the Budapest restaurant in Toledo, Ohio, and is attributed to a closed restaurant, the Columbian House, which was known for its signature tomato pudding.
Top Review by weekend cooker
This made for a nice dessert for us tonight, very good dessert, though I will repeat this very soon, thought there was just a tad too much orange juice, The flavors were great, but might go for a little more tomato, and a little less orange flavor. Just a personal preference here. Made for New Zaar tag.
- 2 cups dry bread cubes, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed candied ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the bread cubes in a casserole dish and pour the melted butter over them. Stir and set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, tomato puree, orange juice and candied ginger in a saucepan. Heat to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot mixture over the bread cubes.
- Bake until puffy and the corners of the bread cubes are browned, 35-40 minutes.