Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
So simple, we love it with meatloaf and baked potatoes. I serve it at dinner parties and am always asked for the recipe. People are surprised at how few ingredients are involved. Great to add to any oven cooked meals. This recipe was my mother-in-law's answer to "last" minute meal planning.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspeeled and diced tomatoes
- 3 slices white bread, torn into pieces (I prefer Pepperidge Farms or a similar homestyle bread)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour tomatoes into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Mix in the torn pieces of bread and season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Dot with pieces of butter.
- Bake 35- 40 minutes.
We really liked this. I used 2 pieces of stale bread and a cup of crushed saltine crackers. I put about 1/4 cup of grated parmasean on the top before I put it in the oven. A nice side dish with a lot of flavor. I recommend this especially if you're a tomato lover like we are.
Thanks for posting this recipe. It reminded me of my Grandmother. I guess it was the simplicity of the taste. I am a great tomato eater, raw, cooked, however, and this was wonderful. I will print this out and add it to my tried and true recipes.
What a nice simple and different side dish. Mine was a bit too "loose" so next time I'll add a bit more bread. Glad this was posted.