Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from my cousin who got it from a caterer she worked for some years back. If you're a tomato lover, you've got to try this for a side dish that goes with ANYTHING!!!
- 3 cups bread cubes (any kind- I like wheat)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, to taste (can use dried)
- oregano, to taste
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish and place the bread crumbs evenly on the bottom.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, onion, and bell pepper and saute until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and brown sugar, and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Put half the cheese over the breadcrumbs and pour the tomato mixture over the top.
- Add the rest of the cheese and bake until bubbly and the cheese is browned.
- (about 15 minutes).
I rarely gamble with an untried recipe when doing a neat luncheon for friends but I was so sure of your recipe I did- Well was I dis appointed ? Heck no. I did add a jalapeno as well as the hot sauce and 2 garlic cloves. It has a lovely texture and rather than Pudding I would say a comfort casserole. I served it wi th Asparagus Crepes, steamed carrots, crusty bread and a lot of love Thanks crispychick for a winner
Yum, Crispychick! :) Made this for dinner tonight, and both hubby and I enjoyed it. We think it'll be even better tomorrow night when it's sat in the fridge for a while and absorbed all the liquid and tastes. :) I used extra basil, added chopped celery (because I didn't have bell pepper), a clove of garlic, and included Parmesan with the cheddar. I baked it covered for 20 minutes then uncovered for 10. Thanks!